BOTemzUp

Where we are always drunk on games!

Forums

Forum Home > Gaming News > Holy Crap! EARTHBOUND!

Helfinator

Aparently Earthbond no longer has any legal issues.

Shigesato Itoi, the developer of Earhbound, tweeted yesterday that Mother was in production. Many fans speculated it was a new Mother title, likely Mother 4. However, Itoi clarified:

"It’s not 4! We’re trying to get Mother working again right now. I still can’t mention any details, but I have to make clear that this isn’t 4!" Later he mentioned "Since I’m allowed to drop it on you all now, I’ll just go ahead and say it. The “Mother re-release” I’d mentioned a bit before, we’re making progress on that."

He didn't mention whether it would be Mother 1, 2,3 or all of them together nor did he mention if a North American/European release would happen (though many believe that the North American/European release is inevitaable), nor the system they are in developing it for (most likely a 3DS port because the last time they re-released Mother 1 & 2 it was for the Gameboy Advance so Itoi might want to stick to the portable platform genre).

Just hearing this news makes me giddy, but the North American/European release has yet to be seen and it might be best to look at the idea of a release across the pond as skeptically as possible because we know how much of a troll Nintendo can be when it comes to the Earthbound subject. But I will follow this story and report when more news becomes available.

What are your thoughts on this subject? Are you excited for this news? Do you think a NA/Euro release inevitable or will we be left out in the cold again? 

--

December 21, 2012 at 5:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Metalskunk

That totally brings this tweet to mind they made a few days ago. http://imgur.com/EnsED

--

December 21, 2012 at 5:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

IlluWeaver

Sadly, I'm inclined to think that this will be another case of we NA/European gamers being left out in the cold with regards to the Mother series, but any glimpse of hope we receive in terms of finally seeing a re-release of Earthbound (and perhaps finally a legit version of the entire Mother series) makes me cross my fingers excitedly.  Still, I don't think we should be getting our hopes up too high about seeing this yet.  While the legal issues may be clear in Japan, we don't know the status of them in the US (the major reason for the lack of virtual console release).

Please do keep us updated, Helf!

--

~Weaving a web of time and illusions~

December 22, 2012 at 5:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Helfinator

Weaver, you do have a point when it comes to the lack of Mother/Earthbound on Virtual console here in North America/Europe but, I would like to point out that Japan never got a Virtual console release either. Which leads me to believe that whatever copyrights there were expired or Itoi himself didn't want them to be re-released for whatever reason.

Though on starmen.net (the Earthbound fan cite) I remember reading an article a couple months ago stating that there are two songs in Earthbound that are the issue. So, with a re-release being worked on, it leads me to believe that those problematic tracks may be changed thus making it able to be released world wide. But as always, we shouldn't count our eggs before they hatch. 

--

December 22, 2012 at 11:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Helfinator

And finally it has been confirmed that Earthbound will be coming out for download on the Wii U virtual console later this year. We finally have what we've been asking for from the big N! But wait, there is still one last question to ask. . . 

How much do you think the online ebay prices for Earthbound cartidges will plummet? Because in reality Earthbound, though selling very poorly, isn't super rare. The prices have been over inflated for years, but now that you can potentially get Earthbound for around 8 bucks, the online prices are gonna hit the dirt. So, anyone wanna give a guess to how low it's gonna go? :D

--

April 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.