BOTemzUp

Where we are always drunk on games!

Forums

Forum Home > Gaming News > Next Gen Xbox Rumors

IlluWeaver

In somewhat of a follow-up to a post I did regarding Microsoft and Sony's alleged decisions to not release a new console at E3 this year, it seems we have some details on the eventual new Xbox.  According to the latest issue of Xbox World Magazine, Microsoft is experimenting with the implementation of a touch-screen controller similar to that of the upcoming Wii U for its next generation console.  The controller would include traditional Xbox buttons and sticks along with a high-definition screen and could be used as a portable display, a browser for using the internet, and various other functions.  

Unfortunately, this new controller brings a cost with it.   The magazine speculated that with the touch screen controller, the new Xbox could lauch at upwards of $500.

So, it seems that my previous information could be incorrect.  Is this announcement a sign that Microsoft will be unveiling something big at E3, or is simply future planning?  We'll just have to wait and see.

More info here

--

~Weaving a web of time and illusions~

February 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

IlluWeaver

Ok, I have a small related update to this story.  Kotaku reports that multiple sources allegedly close to Microsoft's next-generation team have stated that the system is currently in development under the codename Durango.

--

February 16, 2012 at 7:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

blueblazingdemon
Administrator

Personally I am very excited for this new control scheme. I was excited back when the wii was announced when I was younger, but always was a bit leery on how they would implement the motion controls with hardcore games and they never really conquered that. I feel though that this new tablet controllers will be a very big leap in terms of the way we control games. Touch controls have already proved themselves with the tablet and cell phone ndustry and I know there are some pertty hardcore games on there. I feel that the two controll schemes put together is a winner and can not wait to see what developers do with this new technology. 

February 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

IlluWeaver

In a follow up to the related story on this topic, an investor note obtained by CVG (computerandvideogames.com) claims that the new Xbox could ship in fall 2013 and will not be digital only.  MCV earlier reported a similar release date and that the next generation console would be dropping the disk drive.

--

March 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

IlluWeaver

I have yet another piece of speculation regarding this ongoing story to share with everybody.  According to CVG, the penultimate issue of Xbox World will reveal new details about the new console.  First off, the system is likely going to be called 'Xbox' instead of the speculated 'Xbox 720'.  Not sure how they'll differentiate it from the original console, but ok then.  It will allegedly come with 8 GB of ram and a dual-core processor.  Other details reported to be touched on include Kinect 2.0, Blu-ray discs, directional audio, and the possibility of AR glasses later on in the system's life.  

I'll try to keep you all informed once the issue of Xbox World comes out for any more information or debunking or this rumor.

--

November 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Odinspack
Administrator

I heard rumours it was going to be called the "Xbox 8" or "Xbox Infinite". It would make sense considering all the other Microsoft "8" programs coming out such as their new Windows 8 operating system.

Just calling it Xbox is dumb. Maybe they'll pull an Apple and call it "The New Xbox". Yeah, if you hear anymore for sure let us know. I know it's just a name but that's just confusing.

--

November 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.