BOTemzUp

Where we are always drunk on games!

Forums

Forum Home > Gaming News > 8th Gen Consoles- Or Not

IlluWeaver

For those of you hoping to see the completion of the eighth generation of video game consoles, I unfortunately might have to burst your bubbles.  Microsoft's French marketing director Cedrick Delmas has stated that no new Xbox will be released in 2012.  Previous speculation guessed that the company would release their newest console to compete with the Wii U, which drops this holiday season.

In a similar vein, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe executive Phillipe Cardon has stated that he anticipates Sony being the last of the big three companies to unveil a next generation console.  He noted that the company was the last to release its current generation console, the PS3, and that Sony is not as pressed to move forward, unlike the declining sales of the Wii which prompted Nintendo's move.

While none of this information is confirmed, for now it seems that we will be sticking with the same consoles for at least another year from Sony and Microsoft.  Personally, I think this makes sense given the continued success of the 360, the seeming rise of the PS3, and the money both have invested recently in their motion-control technology (Kinect and Move).  

Microsoft article here

Sony article here

--

~Weaving a web of time and illusions~

February 1, 2012 at 12:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Metalskunk

I think it may put them behind some, mostly because game developing technology evolves very fast, and in the case of consoles most multi-platform developers have to downgrade the tech for consoles to handle it. I mostly just stick with my PC because it's easier and cheaper to upgrade than to buy a new console. But I know I will be picking up the WiiU when it drops, because most of the other consoles have games that I can play on my PC with smoother framerates, quicker load times, etc. Plus, first party Nintendo games need to be played on their systems and their IPs are some of the best quality games I've ever played. :D

--

February 3, 2012 at 12:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

IlluWeaver

For those of you who have been following my reports on Microsoft's next-generation console, codename Durango, I have yet another update for you.  Reddit reports that the console heading out from the company in late 201 is not, as predicted, the new console but rather a stripped-down version of the 360.  The ARM-powered console will focus on "Arcade-style games" and Kinect applications and is projected to be price competitive with Apple TV, which is around $100.  MS Nerd suggests that the "true successor" to the Xbox 360 will ship sometime after.

The next version of Kinect due around 2015.

--

~Weaving a web of time and illusions~

March 27, 2012 at 11:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.