BOTemzUp

Where we are always drunk on games!

Forums

Forum Home > The Community Corner > Game Soundtracks

TheSadisticHero

Awesome soundtracks make games better and more enjoyable.  They also have the ability to make tedious sections in games not seem so bad.  Conversely, do you guys think that a Bad soundtrack can ruin a game?

October 20, 2011 at 10:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TMSonic1228
Administrator

We may have to talk about this during our next podcast...this seems like a good topic.

But really, it feels almost necassary to have a good soundtrack in gaming nowadays. It's almost  standard unlike it used to be. I feel like a good video game needs a good soundtrack, like an orchestrated soundtrack is phenomenal. I think a good soundtrack really helps make a good game.

--

October 20, 2011 at 11:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

K-Man

I think that soundtracks need to help establish the mood of the current situation, much like the art style and the lighting can help support the setting.  It's hard to say what's a good soundtrack or not for me, because I feel to truly judge it one needs the context at which the music is played.  Sure a game can have an amazing sounding soundtrack, but it can also be a horrible fit to the current situation, and hurt the game.  Likewise, a soundtrack may not sound good by itself, but it does wonders to help set the mood and is a great compliment to the actual game.  So I guess I do agree, that a bad soundtrack can ruin a game, but the soundtrack needs to be judged based on the context of the point in the game, and not by just the awesome beats it can throw down.

October 20, 2011 at 11:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WikkoSco

I don't think a soundtrack can ruin a game, but it certainly can detract from the mood if it doesn't fit. Conversely, a soundtrack can enhance the mood and make difficult or tedious sections more enjoyable. A perfect example is Bionic Commando. Sometimes, the game can be difficult and you might not feel like playing any further. But, once "The Gauntlet" starts to play, you feel energized and ready to take on any challenge the game can throw at you. I honestly believe that some people would not have played as far in some games as they did if it wasn't for a particular song playing.

--

I'm only humble when I'm not being a smartass.

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/WikkoScoLPs

My site:http://indiependantgames.webs.com/

October 21, 2011 at 12:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Snackattack8

In my opinion, a great soundtrack is one of the few things that make a game "memorable" to me. I've played tons of games that I've enjoyed, but wouldn't quite put in my "absolute favorites" list, and I usually find that those games that didn't make the cut didn't really have soundtracks that jumped out at me. My favorite types of video game soundtracks are the ones that, when listening to them, will make me think "Man, I want to play that game right now"! I'd have to agree with K-Man that complementing the game's atmosphere is also very important. I would also agree that a bad soundtrack can't make an otherwise solid video game "bad", as gameplay and story far outway it in importance, but it can certainly detract from the experience.

Then again, whether or not a soundtrack is good or not is really all subjective. For example, I don't really like the soundtrack for Secret of Mana, and therefore that game really is just not one of my favorites. I know tons of people revere that game and it's music, and would call me insane for saying that, but I've just never really dug it like so many seem to. I can appreciate it as a game, but I'm just not crazy about it. Then again, there are some people who don't really care about video game soundtracks, and therefore will find some games more enjoyable than gamers who appreciate a good tune. Video game soundtracks, like all other types of music, really depend on the player's taste.

Sorry if I just posted a bunch of stuff that everybody already knows, I just wanted to throw my two cents in :D

--

October 21, 2011 at 1:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WikkoSco

It's no problem Snack. The whole point of the topic is to get everyone's opinion on game soundtracks.

--

I'm only humble when I'm not being a smartass.

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/WikkoScoLPs

My site:http://indiependantgames.webs.com/

October 21, 2011 at 3:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

IlluWeaver

To me, the soundtrack of a game is every bit as important as the game mechanics and the story.  The music of a game tells a player much about what is occuring within a scene.  A musical track can set or highten the tone of a moment or emphasis individual quirks of a location.  A good game soundtrack adds to the atmosphere and gives depth to the defining moments appropriately.  It makes the player excited about traveling on a new adventure or heartbroken when tragedy occurs.  While a bad soundtrack generally does not make an otherwise outstanding game terrible, it can be a large blemish.  Conversely, games that are mediocre can be more enjoyable if they have exciting tracks to listen to.   Most of the games I consider my favorites have an outstanding soundtrack to accompany them because I consider music to be so influential and integral to the story.  Good examples of this are Okami and Chrono Trigger.  

In short, an outstanding game should have an equally creative and powerful soundtrack if it is to be considered a top tier game.

*Weaver apologies for the above ramble and hopes you find it not entirely incoherrant and bothersome*

--

~Weaving a web of time and illusions~

October 25, 2011 at 4:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.