BOTemzUp

Where we are always drunk on games!

Forums

Forum Home > What Are You Playing? > Batman: Arkham City

WikkoSco

I picked up Arkham City on Tuesday and was enjoying it thoroughly until my video cable broke ($20 I don't have :() and here are my thoughts on the few hours I was able to play.

The plotline is basic bad guy has plan, hero tries to stop it with some twists that I won't spoil. It is well written and doesn't give that "been there, done that" feeling I get from other games. Combat will be familiar and easy to pick up whether you played Asylum or not. At base level, you have a few commands :strike, stun, counter. You can also "quickfire" your gadgets by tapping the aim button and one of the face buttons. By combining these commands in rhythm, the combat becomes an elegant affair, as you place explosive gel, dive away, counter a thug and watch the fireworks. 

Movement and navigation is relatively simple. By holding A/X, Batman will automatically jump, climb, glide as needed, although I never found much need in climbing an obstacle when I could just grapple to a glide point that was closer to my destination. Gliding is much more controllable than in Asylum, allowing you to alter your pitch and nose dive to get more altitude. This makes navigating the large city much faster and is a welcome addition. 

Side quests are easy to understand, although sometimes have a sudden difficulty scale, particularly in the Advanced Augmented Reality Training (aka Glide through these rings without touching any other surface) and seems unfair to the player at some points. Missions, fortunately, do not seem to suffer from these random spikes, which makes the story easier to play through. Unfortunately, the Challenge Mode is restricted until the Main Story is completed, which is a shame as this was my favorite mode from Asylum and may leave some feeling slightly cheated if they received the exclusive Joker's Carnival Map only to have to play the game through entirely to enjoy their bonus.

As far as technical issues are concerned, I was unable to notice any frame drops or glitches, although the lip synching sometimes seems off.

Overall, the game appeals to the audience who enjoyed the excellent Arkham Asylum while still being able to bring in new players. Combat and exploration feel fun and give the feeling of being the man behind the cowl.

--

I'm only humble when I'm not being a smartass.

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/WikkoScoLPs

My site:http://indiependantgames.webs.com/

October 20, 2011 at 1:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ToadPatrol

I can't wait to play this game. I already have five other games preordered for the coming month so I had to draw the line somewhere. :) I've seen a few videos of it and it looks amazing. I know we get to play as Batman and Catwoman but I also heard that Riddler may be a playable character too. Anybody know for sure?

--

There's Pineapple for everybody!!

October 20, 2011 at 1:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TMSonic1228
Administrator

I actually got the game recently, it's an astounding game really. More is talked about in the podcast, which is coming very soon.

October 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WikkoSco

ToadPatrol at October 20, 2011 at 1:54 PM

I can't wait to play this game. I already have five other games preordered for the coming month so I had to draw the line somewhere. :) I've seen a few videos of it and it looks amazing. I know we get to play as Batman and Catwoman but I also heard that Riddler may be a playable character too. Anybody know for sure?

Not sure about Riddler, but I think there's some way of playing as Robin or Nightwing if you have certain codes.

--

I'm only humble when I'm not being a smartass.

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/WikkoScoLPs

My site:http://indiependantgames.webs.com/

October 21, 2011 at 12:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

IlluWeaver

So, I played through some of Harley Quinn's Revenge, the new DLC, today, and oh goodness have the developers spoiled us.  It's a very nice little epilogue to the main game, if not a bit rushed at the ending in my opinion.  If you enjoyed the game at all, I recommend picking it up.

--

~Weaving a web of time and illusions~

May 30, 2012 at 1:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.